James Conner “The Hammer” Running back from Pittsburgh
6′ 1″ 233 lbs.
40 yard dash: 4.65
225 lbs. bench: 20 reps
draft projection: 3rd to 4th round
Hometown: Erie, PA
Career totals: Based on 3 seasons, missed one year due to injury and illness
668 attempts for 3,633 yds. and 52 touchdowns
30 receptions for 412 yds. and 4 touchdowns
- Smash mouth ground and pound running style
- Brute force in short yardage situations
- Exceptional red zone scorer
- Yards after contact is impressive
- Stiff arm is his main weapon also likes to lower shoulder and break tackles
- Strong lower body, tough to bring down
- Good receiver has reliable hands
- Quality pass blocker
- average speed
- limited elusive mobility, a bit tall and stiff but strong runner
James was clocked once with a 4.5 forty time but his combine came in at 4.65 and 4.74. He has decent speed but needs some time to get to max tilt. His mcl injury and cancer background will always be an area of concern for NFL scouts. He will need to impress at his Pro day and pass all medical tests to be drafted in early rounds.
In 2015 James suffered an MCL injury and was shut down for the year. His family will say the injury was a life saving occurrence. During his rehab they noticed James was not feeling well and further scans showed he had Hodgkin’s lymphoma cancer. He immediately under went chemotherapy treatment and in May 2016 he was fully recovered and cleared to play . He had a bounce back year with over 1394 total yards and 20 touchdowns. James overcame his fears and kept a positive attitude so he could play the game he loves. He will be one of the brighter miracle stories in this upcoming draft and should be selected in the late 3rd round or early 4th.
NFL Comparison: T.J. Duckett , Brandon Jacobs